2020 Tax Upset Sale
First-ever online auction of Dauphin County tax-delinquent properties set for Dec. 14
HARRISBURG, PA (Nov. 30, 2020) – Due to coronavirus social distancing concerns, the Dauphin County Tax Claim Bureau is holding its annual upset sale of tax-delinquent properties for the first time via an online auction on Monday, Dec. 14.
Properties on the list are behind in real property tax for the past two years. They may also have other liens or encumbrances that successful bidders would be responsible for satisfying.
To participate in the online auction, being held from 8:30 a.m. to noon:
- Go to the Lane Ryan Auctions site at https://www.laneryanauctions.com/ and scroll the list of upcoming auctions for the Dauphin County Upset Tax Sale.
- Bidders should click on “View Catalog/Bid” to register. Interested parties must register on the site by Dec. 9 and must have a credit card and photo ID. No one with delinquent real property taxes can bid.
- Successful bidders have until 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 15 (the day after the sale) to go to the Tax Claim Bureau in the Dauphin County Administration Building, 2 S. Second St., and complete the transaction.
- Payments must be made by certified check, money order, or credit card. A $3.95 is charged on Visa debit cards, and a 2.5 percent fee on the total amount is charged for regular credit cards.
- Successful bidders who cannot pay for a property will have $1,000 charged to the credit card used for registration.
A list of delinquent properties, updated every Friday, is available on the auction site or at www.dauphincounty.org/government/departments/tax_claim
All sales are final, and researching the properties is the responsibility of the bidder.
How to get your property off the list
If your property is on the Upset 2020 Tax Sale list, you have until 4 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 11 to pay at least the 2018 tax (and any unmade payments from 2017). Payments must be made at the Dauphin County Tax Claim Bureau.
The office accepts certified checks, money orders or credit cards. A fee of $3.95 is charged on Visa debit cards, and a 2.5 percent fee on the total amount is charged for regular credit cards.
For more information, visit the Dauphin County Tax Claim Bureau at www.dauphincounty.org/government/departments/tax_claim or call (717) 780-6125.